This was my 7th year volunteering behind the scenes of the event and FreeValley Publishing’s 6th year having a booth at the festival. Wow! I love being involved with this event and I learn something every year. I get to watch conflict resolution and large event planning. It is amazing how much detail and effort goes into putting on this festival and I’m glad I’ve been a part of it.
You can find FVP and some great books by local authors at Maple Valley Days near the info booth! This is our sixth year at Maple Valley Days and we have some new books since last year.
And Happy National Donut Day!
Check out our 2017 Maple Valley Days
Check out our 2016 Maple Valley Days
Check out our 2015 Maple Valley Days
Check out our 2014 Maple Valley Days
What Is Seattle Independent Bookstore Day?
When Independent Bookstore Day went national in 2015 (after its founding in 2014 by booksellers in Northern California was a rousing success), Seattle’s indie bookstores collaborated to showcase what we do best: build human connections through physical books, in a daylong celebration of the work we do and the readers and customers who make it possible. We offered many of the same events and exclusive items as our colleagues across the country, but we also introduced the Passport Challenge, encouraging readers to get their passports stamped at as many participating stores as possible on Bookstore Day. Those who get their passports stamped at every participating store that day are crowned Grand Champions, with a crown, a party, and best of all, a 25% discount at all participating stores for the following year. We admit we have been stunned by the response: in our first year, we weren’t sure if anyone would complete the full Passport Challenge, but we crowned 42 Grand Champions. In 2017, our third year, the number of Grand Champions, all of whom visited 19 stores from Poulsbo to Kirkland to Queen Anne to Georgetown in a single day, exploded to 320, and in 2018 our total number of Champions increased yet again, to nearly 500. We’re hoping for even more in 2019!
I met new readers and new authors at Norwescon 42! I can’t wait to read my new books – look out for those reviews in the upcoming weeks/months.
Now to get ready for Indie Bookstore Day next weekend! Hope to see you there.
Catch books by local authors Sheri J. Kennedy, Rachel Barnard, Victoria Bastedo, Kennedy J. Quinn, and Jeffrey Cook at Norwescon later this week.
I’ll be wandering around in my costume.. See if you can spot me…
And don’t forget your towel!
The Neverending Bookshop is pleased to welcome back local author Rachel Barnard with her book “Donuts In An Empty Field”! She’ll do a reading, talk about her books, answer questions, and sign copies of her work. Stop by and join us!
To celebrate Rachel breaking even on her first ever book project, she is offering her first For the Love of Donuts book (Donuts in an Empty Field) at a discounted price at this event.
RSVP to the event on Facebook HERE
Add the book to your Goodreads shelf:
Bring your used books and get store credit to the book store.
Goals list of 2018:
- Finish one novel writing project – I stopped writing this year and haven’t finished any other writing-related projects.
- Plan and execute my children’s picture book I’ve put on hold for years – Again, haven’t worked on any writing-related projects
- Submit to the PNWA contest – I did and I won second place in the short story contest!
- Send Flora’s Last Chance for Magic to 20 publishers/agents/editors – I didn’t do this, but I did send it to one agent I know
- Create Rachel’s guide to donuts in and around Seattle – haha not
- Handspring to Ayesha – I can do this with a spot
- Create a demo reel – never got around to this
- Learn a breakdance party move – I still want to do this!
- Level up inversions at Divine – I never went consistently enough for this to happen
Describe yourself in 3 words: Driven, Efficient, Restless
Describe what you want more of in 3 words: Calm, Accomplished, Considerate
Theme for 2019: Minimize
- Nail the Divine intermediate inversions combo
- Learn hand balancing moves (specifically a hand stand)
- Take more acro yoga classes
- Learn to make fluffy gluten free bread
- Finish my scrapbook
- Finish my health book through 2018
- Management/Kanban training
- Learn massage techniques
- Dog sit/walk a corgi
- Goat/cat yoga
- Volunteer at Thrill the World and perform for the 5th year!
- Learn Turkish (get through the 12 modules on my Rosetta Stone app)
- Corgi Con
- Pole expo
- Blind Café
- Herb Farm or a Michelin-starred restaurant
Goals list of 2017:
- Publish Seize the Donut (for the Love of Donuts Book 2) on National Donut Day – June 2nd, 2017
- Edit my short stories – Celebrity Dreamscapes, Smart Fraud, The Man Who Never Slept
- I submitted these stories to Norwescon’s Fairwood Writer’s Workshops and then only actually edited one of them…
- Send out my short stories for publication!
- Nope. Not at all
- Version 2 of At One’s Beast (edit, revise, re-release)
- Didn’t even look at this
- Find an agent for Flora’s Last Chance for Magic
- I sent Flora out to three agents… And all of them said no.
- Find a publisher or artist for my children’s picture book
- Write and art for children’s picture book about pole dance
- This was an idea I had?
- Write a children’s picture book about dad catch phrases or dad puns
- You can see where this is going… Nope.
- Revise Aster & Tilde
- I want to collaborate with someone on this (hey sister!)
- Write Aster & Tilde book 2 and plan out the series
- Review 1 Indie book a week
- Almost! I reviewed 49 books this year 🙂
- Go to Emerald City Writer’s Conference again
- I decided to save my money for a vacation outside the country instead.
- Start editing Dollars to Donuts (for the Love of Donuts book 3)
- I decided that I might not even publish this book and focus on my romance series instead
- Publish Nichole’s Book of Awesome Things (for the Love of Donuts accompaniment 2) for release with Seize the Donut
- Yes! And it was done. Practically Done.
- Create a coloring book of donuts (for the Love of Donuts accompaniment 3) for release in the winter
- Create an audio book of my poetry book
- Nope. Didn’t even try.
- YouTube video 1x/month
- Yeah… I don’t care for video editing – but I am posting on social media more.
- Get 500 Instagram followers
- Reach 250 Facebook likes on author page
- I’m at 189 likes
- Reach 250 Facebook friends
- I did this!
- Mile in 10 minutes
- 50 push-ups in one go
- Inversions other side solid
- Shoulder mount
- Oh yeah!
- Level up inversions at Divine
- I’m now in intermediate inversions and almost ready to pass to advanced inversions
- Dance performance
- I performed three times!
- 200 pole classes lifetime
- I’m up to 279 pole classes lifteime
- 10 pull ups
- I never tested this, but I’m probably only able to do 5-7 on a good day
2018 Goals!!! Writing and Beyond:
- Finish one novel writing project
- Plan and execute my children’s picture book I’ve put on hold for years
- Submit to the PNWA contest
- Send Flora’s Last Chance for Magic to 20 publishers/agents/editors
- Create Rachel’s guide to donuts in and around Seattle
- Handspring to Ayesha
- Create a demo reel
- Learn a breakdance party move
- Level up inversions at Divine